Friday, April 23, 2010

One week away...

I am currently one week from my first race post-baby. It's a half marathon (13.1 miles) and I'm feeling woefully unprepared. I've even spent the last week or so trying to find a way out of running this race. At the end of the day I'm telling myself that I'm just going to do it and shut up (partly because I've paid for it already) but truth be told I'm a little scared. I realized that once I became athletic again with my personal training (I was an athlete for most of my childhood) that I definatly identify myself as an in-shape, athletic person and I don't like not feeling that way. I feel like I don't know this post-baby body, we are not friends. So I've decided to go on a 13.1 mile search for my friend (athletic suzy) although I'm sure it will be a longer search than that - but thats ok. I would probably run a marathon looking for athletic suzy (although I REALLY hope I don't have to!) So once this race is over I will be sending out a search party for athletic suzy, and search parties work slowly and thoroughly, they don't race. My search party will be working most days, doing what they can in that day, nothing more and nothing less. I know that fitness is achieved in small choices, but I'm just as impatient for results as my clients. I'm going to try to follow my own advice for once and take this slow and steady (my swim coaches always called me a turtle anyway). I've been carrying around a quote in my phone for weeks now that reads "good people do good things over the long haul" - you're never going to accomplish everything in one day - and I'm in for the long haul now. (I feel that I also have to mention that the background on my phone is an elephant sunning itself on a beautiful beach because i don't want to be the elephant on the beach - so I'm probably sending myself some mixed messages but hopefully it all will work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment